I was born and raised in western New York State; in fact, my husband and I still live here and raised our family here. I earned a political science degree from the State University of New York, Empire State College, and worked in the legal profession for over twenty years before deciding to switch gears and pursue a writing career. During that time, my husband and I opened up our hearts and our home to numerous mischievous rescue cats and three lovable rescue dogs. At the same time I began my writing career my kids started families of their own, and I saw an opportunity to introduce my grandchildren and other young, emerging readers to the wonderful world of animals and encourage a love of reading by creating animal-themed stories for them to enjoy. My first picture book, There’s a Dog On The Dining Room Table, which I wrote to honor the memory of our beloved Shiba Inu dog Barney (who really did jump onto our dining room table), was published by Xist Publishing in September, 2014. Xist released my second picture book, If a Dog Could Wear a Hat, on May 31, 2018. That story describes the antics of our dog Simon, a mischievous Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix who closely resembles the Disney character Bolt — minus the bolt but with his own version of the superbark. In my spare time, I enjoy swimming and yoga, reading, weaving, cuddling with my cats and dogs, gardening, brushing up on my French and learning Scottish Gaelic, practicing piano, and learning Northern European fiddle music. I also enjoy photography, some of which I post to my Instagram account.
My education and experience include:
Freelance writer, NuVet Labs® 2009-2014
- Preparation of marketing materials on companion animal health.
Paralegal, Nixon Peabody LLP, Rochester, NY 1987-2009
- Extensive researching for, drafting, proofreading and editing of legal documents and correspondence from rough draft to final form. Managed firm’s mortgage foreclosure practice.
Volunteer writer, In Defense of Animals 2012
- Development of travelers’ advisory pages for Elephant Project website.
- “If a Dog Could Wear a Hat.” Xist Publishing; 2018.
- “There’s a Dog on the Dining Room Table.” Xist Publishing; 2014.
- “Once in a Lifetime Dog.” Animal Wellness magazine, June/July 2010.
- “In Memory of Sunrise.” Tails From the Source, The Animal Reiki Source Newsletter Collection, Vol. 1, 2004-2005, Kathleen Prasad, ed. Animal Reiki Source.
- Contributor, Veterinary Technician magazine.
- SUNY, Empire State College, Rochester, NY, B. S. in Political Science
- Medaille College, Buffalo, NY, various Veterinary Technology courses
- Writers & Books, Rochester, NY, various writers’ workshops
- University of Rochester, Eastman Community Music School, Rochester, NY, violin studies
- Private lessons: Dick Bolt, Rochester, NY, Northern European, American, Cajun, and French Canadian fiddle music.