A native of western New York State, Elizabeth holds a political science degree from the State University of New York Empire State College. She chose this reading- and writing-intensive specifically to develop her writing and analytical skills, and after over twenty years in the legal profession, Elizabeth decided to turn her extensive writing, editing and proofreading experience into a freelance writing career. During that same twenty years, Elizabeth and her husband opened up their home and their hearts to numerous mischievous cats and three loveable dogs, all rescues. Elizabeth’s love for animals has led her to pursue veterinary technology studies and training as an animal Reiki practitioner. Her deep love for the Earth and belief in the interconnectedness of all things informs her interest in green living and environmental issues.
Elizabeth is currently polishing her children’s picture book manuscripts Simon Barks Too Much and Simon Is Lost!, which describe the antics of her dog Simon, a mischievious Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix, and There’s a Dog On My Dining Room Table!. Her goal is to use her stories to introduce the very young to reading and to the world of animals.
Elizabeth is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, the Freelancers Union, and Writers & Books (Rochester, NY) and is a Picture Book Month Ambassador.
Her education and experience include:
Freelance writer, NuVet Labs® 2009-Present
- Preparation of marketing materials on companion animal health.
Paralegal, Nixon Peabody LLP, Rochester, NY 1987-2009
- Extensive researching for, drafting, proofreading and editing of legal documents and correspondence from rough draft to final form. Managed firm’s mortgage foreclosure practice.
Volunteer writer, In Defense of Animals
- Development of travelers’ advisory pages for Elephant Project website.
Blogger, Conducive Chronicle
- Articles covering green living and environmental issues.
Freelance copywriter, HubShout, LLC
- Web content SEO articles for company clients.
- “Once in a Lifetime Dog.” Animal Wellness magazine, June/July 2010.
- “In Memory of Sunrise.” Tails From the Source, The Animal Reiki Source Newsletter Collection, Vol. 1, 2004-2005, Kathleen Prasad, ed. Animal Reiki Source.
- Contributor, Veterinary Technician magazine.
- Various articles, eHow.com.
- SUNY, Empire State College, Rochester, NY, B. S. in Political Science
- Medaille College, Buffalo, NY, various Veterinary Technology courses
- Writers & Books, Rochester, NY, various writers’ workshops
- University of Rochester, Eastman School of Music, Rochester, NY, violin studies